Passport Processing and October 1, 2021 Real-ID Mandate
As of September 28, 2020 turnaround for routine passports is 10 to 12 weeks. Expedited service takes 4 to 6 weeks.
City Hall passport agents are temporarily unavailable. Please schedule an appointment at the Fairbanks Post Office, 315 Barnett Street (452-3223 or usps.com). 11-6-20
Real ID or another federally-approved ID? As of October 1, 2021, standard driver’s licenses or State-issued ID cards will no longer be acceptable identification to access federal buildings, military installations, or TSA checkpoints for domestic travel.
Alaska residents, 18 and older, will need a Real ID driver’s license, Real-ID compliant identification card, or an approved federal ID:
• U.S. passport book or U.S. passport card
• DHS trusted traveler card (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
• U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
• Permanent resident card, aka “green card”
• Border crossing card
• DHS-designated Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) or Enhanced non-driver photo ID card (ENDID)
• Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
• HSPD-12 PIV card
• Foreign government-issued passport
• Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
• Transportation worker identification credential
• U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
• U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
NOTE: Drivers and passengers, ages 16-18, may not need ID at airports, but they must carry a federally-approved ID to get through military gates.
What is the difference between a passport and a Real ID driver’s license or identification card?
Passport books meet federal mandates, plus international travel via land, sea, or air.
Passport cards meet federal mandates, plus border crossings, but not international air travel.
Real ID cards meet federal mandates, but not any international travel.
You must carry a driver’s license, but you do not need multiple IDs. The passport book covers everything. Many people purchase both the passport book and the passport card at the same time. Passport cards are more convenient to carry. It costs time and money to apply for a book or card at a later date, which requires attachment of the valid passport (book or card).
Contact DMV (907-895-4424) for more information about the Real-ID card.