PLEASE CALL AHEAD (895-4656) TO ENSURE A PASSPORT AGENT IS AVAILABLE.
Passport turnaround requires 8-11 weeks. Expedited service takes 5-7 weeks.
- Schedule an appointment at City Hall (895-4656) between 11:00 and 3:00, Monday through Friday. Cancel if experiencing any signs of illness.
- Citizens requiring travel sooner than 12 weeks should schedule appointments at the Seattle Passport Agency (1-877-487-2778), 300 5th Avenue, Suite 600.
The October 1, 2021 federally-approved ID mandate to access federal buildings, military installations, and TSA checkpoints for domestic travel was moved to May 3, 2023. Alaska residents, 18 and older, will need a Real ID driver’s license, Real ID-compliant identification card, or other accepted federally-approved ID:
• U.S. passport book or U.S. passport card
• U.S. Military ID
• Permanent resident card, aka “green card”
• DHS-designated Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) or Enhanced non-driver photo ID card (ENDID)
• Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
• Foreign government-issued passport
• U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
*** Note: Drivers and passengers, ages 16-18, may not need ID at airports, but they must carry a federally-approved ID to get through military gates.
What is the difference between a passport and a Real ID driver’s license or Real ID-compliant identification?
Passport books meet federal mandates, plus international travel via land, sea, or air.
Passport cards meet federal mandates, plus border crossings, but not international air travel.
Real ID cards meet federal mandates, but not any international travel.
Many people purchase both the passport book and the passport card at the same time. Passport cards are more convenient to carry and the passport book can be safely stored and used only for international flights. It costs time and money to apply for a book or card at a later date because it requires attachment of the valid passport (book or card), a new passport photo, and added fees, including postage. Adult passports have a ten-year life. They do not need replaced if passport-holder moves, whereas a driver’s license does.
People need driver’s licenses, but not necessarily a Real ID driver’s license, unless it is a commercial driver’s license. Contact DMV (895-4424) or Swift Tag & Title (616-1417) for more information about the Real ID.ADULT and FIRST TIME instructions
MINOR passport instructions
ADULT PASSPORT RENEWAL instructions